Jay Mulligan, San Francisco, Calif. Representative

The Garland Company, Inc. ®

Frequently Asked Questions

How long should my roof last?
There are many factors that can influence the life of a roof system, including the type of system, quality of materials, quality of installation, and frequency of preventive maintenance performed. Depending on those factors, your roof can last as little as 10 years or as long as 30 years.

How do I achieve the best life-cycle return on my roofing investment?
Implementing proactive preventive maintenance from the day your new roof is installed virtually guarantees that its actual life will exceed its warranted life. In addition to maintaining your roof, installing a good roof the first time around gives you a head start on longevity. The combination of sound design, quality materials, and superior workmanship is the recipe to achieving the best life-cycle return on your roofing investment. Investing in extra plies, thicker flashings, and durable membranes ensures a low cost, low maintenance, long-term waterproofing system.

What is the percentage of materials vs. labor for a roof replacement project?
Typically, materials and services account for 30% of the total cost while labor is the remaining 70%. Quality, high-performance materials installed by knowledgeable, experienced contractors is essential to achieving the highest rate of return on your roofing investment.

What does life-cycle costing really mean?
Life-cycle costing provides realistic projections of the long-term cost of a roof system using present day values. This methodology analyzes multiple roof options with different initial costs, yearly maintenance requirements, and expected life cycles, helping you determine which roofing system will provide the best return on investment (ROI).

What are the benefits of working with a full-service manufacturer?
A full-service manufacturer provides you with single-source accountability for a full range of product and service solutions to meet a wide variety of commercial roofing requirements. As a full-service manufacturer, processes and products are carefully monitored through stringent quality control programs, ensuring the highest level of quality is continuously maintained and improved. A wide range of products and services enable full-service manufacturers to recommend solutions based on your needs and performance objectives as opposed to single product manufacturers that often try to fit a square peg in a round hole.